Many of us still think of the house at 167 Peirce St., East Greenwich, as the home of Miss Martha McPartland, the well-known and much loved librarian and town historian. However, the house had a long history before the McPartland family bought it in 1921.
This handsome, 1887 Victorian house at 100 Crompton Ave., East Greenwich, sits on a unique ¾-acre lot that runs between Crompton Avenue and a 150-foot frontage on Greenwich Cove, making it one of less than 10 private waterfront homes in East Greenwich.
Pal’s Restaurant is a very well known Italian-American restaurant located at 43 Division St., East Greenwich, on the corner of Duke Street, and has been in business for at least 75 years. The Palermo family built the building in 1920, and continues to own it today.
We tend to think that moving houses to a new location is a relatively new phenomenon, but it’s been going on since at least the 18th century.
As with most of the houses on King Street in East Greenwich, there was an earlier house at 78 King St. called the Angell Cottage.
Thomas Bateman owned several large areas of land in the village, including what is now the James H. Eldredge Elementary School field, and the area bounded by Main Street and the railroad, from London Street to Bridge Street.
In 1847, James B. Peirce, a wealthy mill owner, and Thomas A. Johnson, a prosperous merchant, surveyed and plotted some land they owned that ran from Main Street to the west side of Prospect Street, and from Friendship Street to Somerset Street in East Greenwich.
This prominent house at 31 Peirce St., East Greenwich, sits high above the parking lot of the First Baptist Church, and was built by Charlotte A.A. Sands shortly after her husband, sea captainWilliam A. Sands, died in 1863.
While it’s hard to imagine a connection between Rhode Island’s premier industrialist, a power company, the president of The Providence Journal, a lumber yard and a suburban yacht club, that’s exactly what we’re going to attempt today! With the Fourth of July just past, what better time to ch…
The Greene family bought this land at 178 Division St., East Greenwich, in 1846, and transferred it back and forth within the family several times, first from Lawton Greene to his widow, Sarah, when he died in 1861.
This little house at 88 King St., East Greenwich, almost seems out of place, tucked between the railroad bridge and the East Greenwich Yacht Club’s vast parking lot.
There was an earlier house on this lot at 30 Main St., East Greenwich, which existed in 1776 when Christopher Bentley purchased the property from his father, William Bentley (1725-1782). Christopher and Lydia (Arnold) Bentley sold the old house and lot in 1814 to Jonathan Andrews.
In 1847, Daniel Burdick purchased a lot of land on Marlborough Street in East Greenwich from his older brother, William J. Burdick, and his brother’s wife, Almira (Hood) Burdick.
In the early 1890s, this house at 125 First Ave., East Greenwich, was built in the East Greenwich Cemetery, and for 15 years it remained there.
As we see every week, much of the history of East Greenwich is written in the history of its houses. But there are other amazing historical events that need to be retold and remembered. The East Greenwich Tory uprising of Tuesday, Sept. 13, 1774, is one such story.